Thursday 27 August 2009

Rafal Pruszynski – Riverside

Well, the context of this work is better put by Rafal himself that I would be able to explain so, get it in ya' first before looking at the photo's.

I shot “Riverside” at the same time as I shot Little Pieces of us, and both are still on-going projects. The shooting, and showing of Pieces was a very intense experience since it was highly personal and highly intimate. I began Riverside first as simply a visually interesting project, but it quickly turned into a counter to Pieces. Whereas Pieces was very intense, Riverside was a way for me to get away from that, to step back, become more contemplative. Riverside and Pieces are opposites in many ways. One is black and white, one is color. One is more in the moment, shot on intuition, the other more composed. Riverside, became an escape from Pieces, and as such it can even be viewed as another side of the same coin. With Pieces I had co-authors very much involved in the project. With Riverside it was just me.

One thing I’m most interested in with the projects I shoot is to explore my immediate world. I don’t travel often and when I do I find that I am never happy with the photos I take. With my immediate surroundings I can take time to explore and to get what I intend. Most of the photographs in this project were shot within walking distance of where I live or work.

Riverside is a chapter in a larger on-going project entitled “Marooned”. South Korea though not technically an island, is still cut off from the rest of Asia by North Korea, a barrier more difficult to cross than any sea or ocean. It is therefore a de-facto island, an island I have been living on for the last 8 years. “Marooned” is my look at the island that has been my home for nearly a decade, and will remain so for another 2 years.


Check out his photo essay at burnmagazine

No comments:

Post a Comment